20 April 2022

Blog Post: Finding Connections

Finding Connections

In my effort to focus on the Climate and Environmental Issues a connect happened way closer than I could have plotted. Dan Bacher wrote the linked article inserted below just over six-years-ago. 
We follow each other on Twitter which, is the reason this article came into view for me.
 Bacher is currently covering the salmon reports and the Delta waters of California.

April 11, 2016 by Dan Bacher, environmental journalist 

What struck me about Bacher's article was the name MAXXAM and the Pacific Lumber Company buyout. I knew that name. Charles Hurwitz, one of those corporate raiders from Texas during the 1980s. He bought out the little development called Holiday Island located in Arkansas, where I live.


April 22, 2022
There was one businessman and seven banks that bought out Hurwitz's interest in Holiday Island.
The community is now a SID and a City (two governments).
Currently it is questionable rather the community is better off.
Time will show a better answer but, the population is older and time is not on those residents side.


Update editing March 9, 2023